105年第2學期-0120 英語口語訓練（一） 課程資訊
|Impromptu Speech||10||Students will take turns to deliver a 3 minute impromptu speech on a topic randomly selected from a list.|
|Persuasive Speech||25||This is a 7-minute speech that tries to convince listeners to agree with the speaker about a controversial topic.|
|Cultural Conflict Speech||25||A 5-minute speech on a cultural conflict issue|
|Group Debate||30||This is a debate in which teams of 3 to 4 students argue opposing sides of a controversial topic.|
|TOFEL iBT Oral Test||10||A 30-minute simulation oral test|
Upon completing of this course, students should be able to
1. develop confidence in speaking publicly and academically;
2. learn how to listen to public speaking critically, responsively, and objectively;
3. present familiar topics in a smooth, understandable and organized fashion in both prepared and impromptu speeches;
4. speak in order to inform and persuade audiences in persuasive speeches; and
5. participate in a group debate to argue on a controversial topic.The first semester of the course is focused on public speaking about personal experiences and to inform others about a topic. The second semester is focused on informative and persuasive public speaking. Students will do activities both in and out of class to help them gain confidence and fluency for speaking in English in front of their classmates and teachers.
The main objective of this course is to help students develop confidence in speaking publicly and academically. Students will also learn how to listen critically, responsively and objectively. Students will master presenting familiar topics in a smooth, understandable and organized way in both prepared and impromptu speeches. Students will also study how to inform and persuade others. These oral skills will be applied in group discussions and debates.
Office HourTuesday 2:10 ~ 3:00 & Thursday 4:20 ~ 5:10 pm at FLLD Office #17
Dale, P. & Wolf, J. C. (2006). Speech Communication Made Simple: A Multicultural Perspective (3rd edition). Pearson Education, Inc.