99年第2學期-0085 英語口語訓練（一） 課程資訊
|Debate||35||Students will form teams to debate other teams about a controversial topic.|
|Persuasive speech||25||Students will give speeches individually to try and persuade their classmates of their views about a controversial topic.|
|Group discussion||20||Students will form groups and interact about a topic given by the teacher.|
|Impromptu speeches||10||Students will need to give brief speeches with little preparation time.|
|Conversations||10||Students will converse on topics given by the teacher.|
1. developed confidence in speaking publicly and academically
2. learned how to listen to public speaking critically, responsively and objectively
3. mastered how to present familiar topics in a smooth, understandable and organized fashion in both prepared and impromptu speeches
4. learned to speak in order to inform and persuade others in persuasive speeches and debates
5. developed confidence in participating in group discussions
6. developed confidence in their everyday conversation ability
The main objective of this course is to help students develop confidence in speaking publicly and academically. Students will also learn how to listen critically, responsively and objectively. Students will master presenting familiar topics in a smooth, understandable and organized way in both prepared and impromptu speeches. Students will also study how to inform and persuade others. These oral skills will be applied in group discussions and debates.
Office HourTuesdays 12 pm - 2 pm, or by appointment. I prefer if you let me know when you plan to see me, so that I can make sure I will be available. Office: LAN111-B
You mainly need the coursepack from Prof. Yin, available in class. Other Oral Training I teachers may require the book Speech Communication Made Simple, 3rd edition, by Paulette Dale and James C. Wolf; if you can borrow a copy or afford one, it can be a useful reference for you, but it is not essential for my class.