105年第2學期-0166 新聞英文 課程資訊
|Quizzes & class participation||30|
本課程名額為 35人，已有35 人選讀，尚餘名額0人。
This course is conducted mostly in group discussion to provide students opportunities to learn
1. about the current events, their origins and effects on the world;
2. a different genre of English language in use;
3. a critical view of news;
4. skills for presentation and discourse.Class requirements:
1. Strict attendance is required. Three absences will result in failure of the course.
2. Take turns in leading group discussion and oral presentation.
3. Active participation in class discussion is required.
4. Weekly quizzes
The course is designed to help students read, understand and analyze English news. Both British and American news articles will be explored to introduce the basic elements of journalistic English. As well as the linguistic forms of English news language, students will also be guided to do critical thinking on issues covered in news; differences between foreign and local press will also be discussed throughout the course to cultivate students’ sense of globalism. Depending on students’ learning progress, a part of the class may be dedicated to help students produce their own news either in written or spoken form.
Office Hourby appointment
BBC, the New York Times, the Guardian, Al Jazeera (http://www.aljazeera.com/) & Spiegel (English – http://www.spiegel.de/international/)