110年第2學期-2823 Introduction to Sustainability 課程資訊
|Homework||25||In class worksheets, on-line chapter homework, etc.|
|Mid Term Exam||20||From the material covered up to the mid term week|
|Oral Presentation||10||selected from a topic covered during the lectures, and as approved by teacher|
|Final Paper and presentation||30||a term research paper presented and discussed in a final presentation|
|Class Participation||15||Includes attendance to class and active participation (asking questions, etc.)|
本課程名額為 50人，已有32 人選讀，尚餘名額18人。
1. Part 1: What is sustainability?, what are the root causes of the sustainability problems we face today?, how do we restructure human systems and how do we use critical thinking analysis to come up with solutions that work?.
2. Part 2: What are the basic principles of ecology needed to understand the environmental issues affecting sustainability?. What are the six operating principles of sustainability-ideas that will help us revamp modern society one system at a time?.
3. Part 3: What are the most pressing issues affecting the achievement of sustainable environmental and human existance?-particularly the effects of rapid population growth and what culturally acceptable ways exist to slow it down.
4. Part 4: What resource issues are associated with the idea of lasting sustainability (especially, wild life extinction and modern energy needs)?. What strategies exist to solve these sustainably, and can we overhaul current human systems such as energy and waste management?
5. Part 5: What are the legal, technical and personal solutions for pollution?-including both traditional and sustainable strategies.
6. Part 6: How do we place the population, resource and pollution crises in a social context?-eximining ethics, economics and government.