104年第2學期-3772 從現代百老匯看社會 課程資訊
|Midterm & Final Exams||25||format will be either oral or written (student option)|
|Participation||25||attendance, preparation, speaking/listening in class|
|email and online assignments||20||weekly journal entries, e-mails, and Facebook postings|
|oral presentations with media||30||Three group presentations using media equipment|
1. systematically listen to musical lyrics to understand the stories and main ideas;
2. express their opinions and ideas to classmates and native speakers in English;
3. communicate ideas in English for discussion/debate/presentation; and
4. communicate effectively in English in small group discussion in formal and informal situations with both native and non-native speakers of English.
This course is designed for all levels of students in Tunghai University. The course will motivate all types of learners, regardless of previous or perceived English level, to improve their oral capabilities. This course will practice seminar and small-group discussion in English, using Broadway/West End musicals to illustrate themes in society. The main process will be listening to or watching musicals (clips or performances) and using small-group and all-class discussion to achieve a greater understanding of society. In this process, students will develop language tools and communication processes in order to share their ideas with others. Students do not need previous knowledge of musicals, but must show a high level of motivation and an interest in discussing social issues. Although there are no specific level requirements, this course is directed at students who express a desire to use English in the future academic or career life. Spring semester especially focuses on contemporary Broadway and West End shows.
Office HourLAN 205 office hours Tuesday and Thursday 12-2pm and/or by appointment
1. Students will not need to purchase any course materials.
2. Students will need access to computers and English-language Internet resources.
3. Each week, students will search the Internet for specific information (song lyrics/synopses/relevant news articles).