107年第2學期-5084 語用學與外語教學 課程資訊
|In-class participation and discussion||20|
|Book chapter/research article presentation||30|
|Lesson plan with a rationale||20|
|Mini-research project (written and oral reports)||30|
On completing this course students will:
1. understand the fundamental theories in pragmatics;
2. analyze language data based on concepts from pragmatics;
3. design a lesson plan with key concepts and principles in light of pragmatics;
4. be able to relate pragmatic issues to themselves as language learners and teachers; and
5. critically discuss and comment on applying the trends and approaches of pragmatics into EFL
Office HourTuesdays 13:10-3:00PM or by appointment at 語文館 FLLD Office # 17
1. Required Texts:
Ishihara, N., & Cohen, A. D. (2014). Teaching and learning pragmatics: Where language and culture meet (2nd Edition). New York: Routledge.
Note: Students may use the first edition which is available online.
* Supplementary reading materials will be available for students to make a copy. The tentative list of readings related to the topics discussed in this course is as follows.
1) Overview of Pragmatics
Bardovi-Harlig, K., & Griffin, R. (2005). L2 pragmatic awareness: Evidence from the ESL
classroom. System, 33(3), 401-415.
Bardovi-Harlig, K (2010). Pragmatics and second language acquisition. In R. B. Kaplan (Ed.) (2nd edition), The Oxford handbook of applied linguistics (pp. 363-377). Oxford: Oxford University Press.
2) Interlanguage Pragmatic Development
Chang, Y. F. (2011). Interlanguage pragmatic development: the relation between pragmalinguistic competence and sociopragmatic competence. Language Sciences, 33(5), 786-798.
Kasper, G. (1992). Pragmatic transfer. Interlanguage studies bulletin (Utrecht), 8(3), 203-231.
3) Pragmatic instruction and assessment
Boxer, D., & Pickering, L. (1995). Problems in the presentation of speech acts in ELT materials: The case of complaints. ELT journal, 49(1), 44-58.
Brown, J. D. (2008). Raters, functions, item types and the dependability of L2 pragmatics tests. In E.
A. Soler & A. Martínez-Flor (Eds.), Investigating pragmatics in foreign language learning, teaching and testing (pp. 224-248). Bristol: Multilingual Matters.
Gonzalez-Lloret, M. (2008). Computer-mediated learning of L2 pragmatics. In E. A. Soler & A.
Martínez-Flor (Eds.), Investigating pragmatics in foreign language learning, teaching and testing (pp. 114-132). Bristol: Multilingual Matters.
Kondo, S. (2008). Effects on pragmatic development through awareness-raising instruction: Refusals by Japanese EFL learners. In E. A. Soler & A. Martínez-Flor (Eds.), Investigating pragmatics in foreign language learn