109年第1學期-3730 文化萬花筒 （中高級英文） 課程資訊
|Homework (Reading, Surveys, Interviews)||25|
|Reflection Journal||25||kept throughout the semester after certain class discussions|
本課程名額為 35人，已有17 人選讀，尚餘名額18人。
授課教師Amanda Parmley Wu
In [Culture Matters] students will use English for a real reason. They will use English to learn about and discuss culture--deep culture. We will NOT be talking about pizza and noodles or Christmas and Chinese New Year. Instead, we will focus on the more "unseen" parts of culture, such as how we use time and how we communicate important messages. This course is designed for students with an upper intermediate level of English because we won't be focusing on learning vocabulary and grammar, but rather we will focus on communicating effectively, managing a conversation, and exploring and sharing our ideas in English. You should walk away from this class understanding yourself better, understanding Taiwanese culture better, understanding what to do when you encounter people from other cultures, and feeling more comfortable using English to communicate with other people.
On completion of the course, students should be able to
1. define culture,
2. explain how and why they should postpone judgment, switch perspectives, avoid stereotyping, and show sensitivity to those from other cultures,
3. explain and describe some of the deeper aspects of culture, such as context of communication, time orientation, power distance, and so on,
4. use English to learn about and explore new ideas,
5. use English to explain, describe, and analyze course concepts, orally and in writing,
6. use English more fluently and confidently to (a) express opinions, (b) agree and disagree with others, and (c) facilitate small group discussions, and
7. evaluate and describe how course concepts relate to other life experiences.
“Culture Matters” is a play on words that can mean two things: (a) culture is important and (b) the “stuff” that makes culture culture. This course will tackle both aspects of this phrase. Culture is more than food and holidays; it intensely influences how we interact with and understand the world around us. This course will focus on the deeper issue of understanding the various cultural dimensions that influence every people group on planet earth rather than look at any one specific culture. Essentially, this course seeks to prepare students to become responsible and culturally-aware global citizens who can communicate across cultures and geography by increasing their cultural quotient (CQ) encouraging them to be open-minded and aware of the differences between individuals and cultures, including their own. This course also provides a unique opportunity for students to use English to learn, rather than focusing on learning English.
授課教師：Amanda Parmley Wu
Office HourLAN 106-G Wednesday and Friday 11:20-12:10
Culture Matters Workbook by Amanda Parmley Wu, your course instructor
您可查詢過去本課程開課紀錄。 文化萬花筒 （中高級英文）歷史開課紀錄查詢