112年第1學期-3713 高階留學英文：說寫能力的加強 課程資訊
本課程名額為 30人，已有24 人選讀，尚餘名額6人。
On completion of the course, students should be able to
1. write about numerical data with accuracy, identify main features in graphs and make comparisons where relevant with acquired vocabulary and linking phrases
2. distinguish between the features of general and academic writing and apply proper academic language learned in class to organize their essays in a formal, coherent manner
3. display the ability to incorporate idiomatic expressions into their answers in speaking in the right context, and plan their responses efficiently to give a successful talk, covering all the questions in hand, within the time limit
4. apply the techniques and strategies learned in class to improve their weaknesses in both speaking and writing in order to achieve their targeted score
This 3-credit course is designed to give students a thorough and complete guide to everything they need to know in preparation for the speaking and writing sections of the IELTS test and of other English proficiency tests. It focuses on the academic module of the IELTS test, and the students will explore the test format and develop strategies for each type of task. In terms of the academic writing test, students will be introduced to various charts and diagrams and equipped with proper academic language to compare numerical data and describe dynamic graphs. They will also learn how to generate, develop and organize their ideas to construct a coherent and effective essay. For the speaking section, idiomatic phrases will be incorporated into practices to improve the students’ fluency and coherence along with an attention to accurate grammar and pronunciation. The emphasis of the course will be placed on writing with one hour allocated to speaking in each lesson. Working through band 9 writing samples and effective responses with their peers via different practices and activities, learners will be able to unpack them so that they acquire the techniques and skills to achieve their desired score.
Office HourBefore and after each lesson in the classroom
No textbook is required, but handouts and supplementary materials will be provided by the instructor.
1. Complete IELTS Bands 5-6.5, Guy Brook-Hart and Vanessa Jakeman, 2012, Cambridge University Press
2. IELTS Advantage Writing Skills, Richard Brown and Lewis Richards, 2011, Delta Publishing Company