99年第1學期-0170 文討：小說選讀：童話故事 課程資訊
|Attendance and participation||10|
本課程名額為 15人，已有16 人選讀，尚餘名額-1人。
1. Students will attempt to define fairy tales as part of children’s literature and literature.
2. Students will examine a wide range of fairy tales aimed at children as well as adults.
3. Students will analyze and determine the various characteristics of fairy tales.
4. Literary theories which can easily be applied to fairy tales will be studied and students will learn to analyze fairy tales using different literary critical theories.
5. Students will independently research a topic (a theme in several tales, one tale in several forms, etc.) and present their findings to the class.
6. Students will write journals in which they reflect critically on their reading of fairy tales.
7. Students will write a (fractured) fairy tale which will demonstrate their understanding of the characteristics of fairy tales.
8. Students will write an essay on a particular tale, a particular theme, or a particular author.
Fairy Tale is a seminar for third- and fourth-year students. The main objective of this course is to introduce students to fairy tales which form a major part of literature provided to children. Fairy tales are types of narrative that children and their parents wil be exposed to, either in visual form, in illustrated texts, or as films and theatre productions. Fairy tales have been the basis for works (poetry, short stories, novels, films, etc.) aimed at readers across different age groups. This course aims to introduce students to different kinds of fairy tales written for children and for adults and will look at fairy tales from different traditions. The historical development of fairy tales will be discussed. Aspects of fairy tales will be analyzed and students will learn to approach fairy tales critically, applying different literary theories to the tales.
Office HourLAN 111-C Mondays 14:00-16:00 and by appointment
There is no text book for this class. A selection of readings with extracts from major publications in the field of fairy tale studies and children’s literature will be provided and a number of tales will be studied in detail. Materials will be collected by the teacher and students will be provided with the required reading materials throughout the semester.