99年第2學期-3306 大一英文 課程資訊
|Exams (Midterm exams and Final exams)||50||50% of the semester including communicative component 30pts, reading 40pts, listening 30pts.|
|In-class grades||50||50% of the semester including quizzes 15%, orals 15%, writing 10%, participation 10%|
本課程名額為 35人，已有27 人選讀，尚餘名額8人。
1. To equip the students with the knowledge of how to cope with the difficulty in reading comprehension
2. To make students aware of how they read, what they read, why they read.
3. To enrich their skills or strategies in reading, writing, listening, and speaking.
4. To enhance their general English proficiency to some extent.
Aims of Course
Freshman English for Majors is a four-skills course taught exclusively to majors of the Department of Foreign Languages and Literatures. The goal of the course is primarily to improve students’ proficiency in communicative language skills with an emphasis on speaking and writing. A functional, notional approach is taken to planning objectives to help students gain confidence in using the English in social interactions. Therefore, active participation in the class is a prerequisite for successful completion.
A variety of activities are used throughout the year including dialogues, role-plays, pair work, small group projects and whole class discussions. The syllabus includes a general review of grammar and many class activities attempt to integrate these grammar components. Therefore, students are given the opportunity to apply the rules to real-life situations that they might encounter in an English-speaking country. Teachers encourage students to monitor their grammar usage while improving their level of fluency.
Office HourEnglish Language Centre
1. Headway American English Level 3, 2nd edition, by Liz and John Soars.
2. Extensive Reading: The Bridge of Madison County
3. Supplementary Class Materials (SCM) if necessary