99年第2學期-3313 大一英文 課程資訊
|Reading preparation & Participation||10|
|Midterm & Communicative activity||25|
|Final & Communicative activity||25|
Students who complete this course are expected to be able to use their general knowledge about the world to understand and communicate in English. The objectives include:
1. increase the ability to listen to English with enough comprehension in order to respond appropriately,
2. increase the ability to use reading skills such as skimming, scanning, identifying main idea, making inferences, and guessing vocabulary in context in order to understand academic texts,
3. increase the ability to use written English for academic purposes, such as writing summary and reading reactions in the format of paragraphs.
4. increase the ability to speak/respond spontaneously and appropriately, and ability to ask for clarification.
Aims of Course
Freshman English for Majors is a four-skills course taught exclusively to majors of the Department of Foreign Languages and Literatures. The goal of the course is primarily to improve students’ proficiency in communicative language skills with an emphasis on speaking and writing. A functional, notional approach is taken to planning objectives to help students gain confidence in using the English in social interactions. Therefore, active participation in the class is a prerequisite for successful completion.
A variety of activities are used throughout the year including dialogues, role-plays, pair work, small group projects and whole class discussions. The syllabus includes a general review of grammar and many class activities attempt to integrate these grammar components. Therefore, students are given the opportunity to apply the rules to real-life situations that they might encounter in an English-speaking country. Teachers encourage students to monitor their grammar usage while improving their level of fluency.
Office HourOffice Hours: 2:00~4:00, Wednesdays or preferably by appointment L203C
1. Selected reading articles from various sources
2. Connect with English, Video Script 1 & II
3. Simplified Readers
Who, Sir? Me, Sir?
The Call of the Wild
Philip’s Journey to MIT (JMIT)