105年第1學期-0125 文學作品導讀（一） 課程資訊
|Attendance and Participation||10|
本課程名額為 30人，已有31 人選讀，尚餘名額-1人。
The main objective of Introduction to Literature is to familiarize students with three major western literary genres, namely fiction, poetry, and drama. Part 1 of this course focuses on fiction. Students will learn to approach texts critically and at the same time strengthen their skills in reading, analyzing and discussing works of literature. This course provides the basis for literature classes taken in later years.
1. Students will read and examine a wide range of traditional and modern texts.
2. Students will aim to define literature, particularly fiction, and learn to identify its features.
3. Students will be introduced to different aspects of narrative texts including plot, character, point of view, setting, irony, language, etc. and will learn to critically analyze these aspects using the proper terminology.
4. Students will write regular journals in which they reflect critically on their reading of narrative texts.
5. Students will analyze a short story and will demonstrate their understanding of narrative fiction by presenting aspects of the story to the class.
6. Students will strengthen their overall skills in reading, analyzing and discussing works of fiction.
Office HourOffice Hours: Thursdays 10:20-12:10 or by appointment Office: LAN 112C
Students should buy the following text:
Mays, Kelly J. The Norton Introduction to Literature. Shorter Eleventh Edition, New York: W.W. Norton & Company, 2013.