107年第2學期-3962 大一英文 課程資訊
|Midterm & Final Exams||50||Reading 40%, Listening 30%, Communicative Component 30%|
|In-Class Grade||50||Quizzes: 15%, Oral Assignments: 15%, Writing: 10%, Class Participation: 10%|
1. Inspire and guide students to apply the English they have learned prior to college in a fun, interactive, and organized way.
2. Encourage and guide students to develop or enhance their critical thinking.
3. Trigger their curiosity at learning in general and the target- as well as their own cultures in particular.We will use the listening practices, reading passages, readers, conversation strategies/interactive tasks, and videos provided in the textbook, Reading Explorer #2, along with other supplementary materials to go over topics related to the world around us.
4. Reading and listening to stories followed up with "Q & A" sessions; using conversation strategies at solving mystery stories, selling & buying 2nd-hand item, playing IQ games...etc.; and Group-Participation Competition" & "Group Presentations" will also be utilized to (a) enhance students' listening, speaking, reading, & researching skills and (b) motivate students' desire at interacting with their teacher and classmates (in English).
5. Reading one simplified reader & one chosen magazine per semester as quiz and/or one oral exam question will be required of the students.
Freshman English for Non-English Majors (FENM) is a required course for the majority of freshmen at Tunghai University. This course is intended as a general four skills (namely, listening, speaking, reading, and writing) integrated English-as-a-foreign-language (EFL) course emphasizing English fluency in general contexts, i.e., English use for general purposes. Thereby, the course is designed to help students use their existing general knowledge about themselves and about the world along with the knowledge of the English language they have acquired to enhance their general English proficiency and enrich their personal background knowledge by using English to learn and communicate. Specifically, the FENM course maximizes students’ opportunities to use English in a wide variety of contexts both in and outside class. Furthermore, it provides an atmosphere that will increase students’ participation and confidence in a non-threatening, whole-English learning environment and that will facilitate students’ acquisition of new knowledge and skills of the English language and new knowledge about the world.
Office Hourby appointment
Reading Explorer #2, Conversation Strategies, Target Vocabulary, Short Stories for Comprehension, Live ABC monthly magazine, Picture Stories for Beginning Communication, Reading Comprehension Workshop (Perspective), Essential English Reading Skills, Great Paragraphs, Active Grammar, Understanding and Using English Grammar, Top Class Activities, & simplified readers (to be announced on the first day of class)