98年第2學期-8652 大一英文【上】 課程資訊
|Midterm & Final Exams||50||Written Exam (70%) & Communicative Component (30%)|
|Quizzes||15||Vocabulary, Cloze, Listening Comprehension, Short-Answer Writing|
|Orals||15||Individual & pair in-class oral performance|
|Writing||10||Narrative, descriptive, & dialogue writing|
|Participation||10||Participation in class discussion and activities|
On completion of this course, students are expected to
1. develop a basic understanding of a variety of genres and writing styles.
2. develop critical thinking ability and apply it in their use of English for different socio-cultural contexts.
3. use English to communicate in classroom context.
4. explore a variety of topics of interest in out of school context.
Freshman English for Non-English Majors (FENM) is a required course for the majority of freshmen at Tunghai University. This course is intended as a general four skills (namely, listening, speaking, reading, and writing) integrated English-as-a-foreign-language (EFL) course emphasizing English fluency in general contexts, i.e., English use for general purposes. Thereby, the course is designed to help students use their existing general knowledge about themselves and about the world along with the knowledge of the English language they have acquired to enhance their general English proficiency and enrich their personal background knowledge by using English to learn and communicate. Specifically, the FENM course maximizes students’ opportunities to use English in a wide variety of contexts both in and outside class. Furthermore, it provides an atmosphere that will increase students’ participation and confidence in a non-threatening, whole-English learning environment and that will facilitate students’ acquisition of new knowledge and s
Office HourN/A (But students are more than welcome to stay after each class for Q/A)
1. NorthStar 2/e: Reading & Writing SB 1
2. Connect With English, Video Script 1 (CWE)
3. Simplified Readers (SR)
1) Oxford B.W. Library 1: The Phantom of the Opera (SR1)
2) Oxford B.W. Library 1: A Little Princess (SR2)
3) Oxford B.W. Library 1: One-Way Ticket (SR3)