99年第2學期-0159 英語發音訓練 課程資訊
|Practice recording X 6||30|
|Oral test X 3||40|
|Final speech profile||30|
本課程名額為 24人，已有24 人選讀，尚餘名額0人。
1. To familiarize with the English phonetic alphabet;
2. To familiarize with English stress and intonation patterns
2. To understand the relationship between pronunciation and spelling;
3. To pronounce vowels intelligibly
a) when the student has to demonstrate any vowel individually;
b) when vowels occur in various settings; e.g. stressed/unstressed, before/after/in-between voiced/voiceless consonants;
4. To recognize it when a vowel is unintelligible and to be able to describe how and why it is unintelligible;
5. To pronounce consonants intelligibly
a) when the student has to demonstrate any consonant individually;
b) when a consonant occurs in different positions; e.g. initial,
middle, and ending;
c) when a consonant occurs in a blend; e.g. /dr/, /pl/, /r/, and /nd/.
6. To recognize it when a consonant is unintelligible and to be able to describe how and why it is unintelligible.
7. To familiarize with rules that govern the lengthening (stressed) and shortening (unstressed/weakened) of vowel and consonant sounds in particular (phrasal or sentential) environment and to be able to pronounce them appropriately
In the class time, the pronunciation of each individual vowel or consonant (singly and in various settings) will be demonstrated and each student will get opportunities to demonstrate how well s/he can imitate the sound. In addition to the class practice, the student will keep tape-recorded journal to monitor his/her progress. An oral test is to be given every month and a comprehensive final exam is to be given at the end of the semester.