98年第1學期-2969 情境英語會話 課程資訊
|Exams||40||midterm & final|
|Presentations & Recording||30||individual, pair, and group presentations|
|Participation||30||attendance, class performance, preview of unit situation, listening comprehension check|
本課程名額為 24人，已有21 人選讀，尚餘名額3人。
On completion of this course, students should be able to
1) demonstrate their communication ability by using the expressions and the conversation strategies acquired in the course spontaneously in weekly oral presentations;
2) initiate communication on various topics closely related to their daily life through the process of thinking, analyzing, reasoning, and compromising;
3) demonstrate their listening comprehension by listening to authentic English conversations and corresponding appropriately to the follow-up discussions ;
4) develop self-learning skills by executing the various projects or assignments on a group or pair basis aimed to increase students’ exposure to English in a way they see fit, such as searching related websites;
5) build their own perspective on life through frequent opinion exchanges in English and thus enhance their motivation in learning English through meaningful communication.
6) show appreciation of diverse values and viewpoints while developing their critical thinking skills.
This is a three-credit semester-long course. In this course, students will be involved in various interactive language learning tasks, which help them develop conversation strategies that can be put to immediate use in real-world situations. The listening components will help students develop listening strategies such as listening for general comprehension, listening for speaker’s attitude, and making inference. The situation in each unit represents a personal issue, such as life goals, relationship as well as social issues such as globalization and environmental concerns. Students will be trained to reflect upon these themes and thus cultivate their critical thinking skills and their understanding of life from different aspects. Through the communication tasks in class, they also learn to build a positive view of life. In addition, the diverse situation-based activities assigned to students for oral practice inside or outside classroom will encourage students’ personal involvement in, and responsibility for, their own learning: they are given the opportunity to bridge the gap between language study and language use.
Office Hour3:20-4:10pm, Tue. 3:20-5:10pm, Wed. at FL106-H
Impact Issues 3, Longman, articles from website: www.impactseries.com/issues