98年第1學期-3337 大一英文 課程資訊
|Exam grades||50||Midterm and final exams|
|In-class performance||50||Attendance, in-class participation, quizzes, assignments, and take parts in on-campus English competitions.|
On completion of the FENM course, students should be able to:
use English in daily life;
think independently, logically, analytically, synthetically, and creatively in English;
understand and enhance one’s own interest and motivation in learning English;
use English to acquire and understand knowledge of various disciplines;
use various English language learning strategies;
use various English language learning resources;
use English to explore and understand various cultures in the world; and
use English to explore and understand the meaning of one’s own life.
Freshman English is a first-year required course. The goal of the course is primarily to improve the proficiency of students in communicative language skills with an emphasis on speaking and writing. A functional, notional approach is taken to planning objectives to help students gain confidence in using English in social interactions. Therefore, active participation in the class is a prerequisite for successful completion. A variety of activities are used throughout the year including dialogues, role-plays, pair work, small group projects and whole class discussions. The syllabus includes a general review of grammar and many class activities attempt to integrate these grammar components. Therefore, students are given the opportunity to apply the rules to real-life situations that they might encounter in an English-speaking country. Teachers encourage students to monitor their grammar usage while improving their level of fluency.
上課時間：一/3,4[A104] 三/3,4[A108] 二/1[英聽室]
Office HourMonday A 104 3,4 Wednesday A 108 3,4 Tuesday Lab 1 2 Office hours: By appointment only. Email: email@example.com
Textbook: Hemispheres 2
Hemispheres is an integrated skills series for young adults that puts skills-building back into integrated skills. The course is designed for students studying general English and for those studying English with a view toward more academic work. This textbook strategically develops both language skills and critical thinking skills. The thought-provoking topics and appealing, user-friendly design invite learners to enter into the skills development without hesitation.
The features of Hemispheres are the following:
1. Balance of language areas: Reading, listening, speaking, writing, and grammar are balanced and integrated throughout the unit.
2. Academic skills: A variety of activities ensures the purposeful development of academic skills, such as summarizing, paraphrasing, making predictions, identifying gist, and using graphs to aid comprehension.
3. Critical thinking skills: The consistent focus on essential critical thinking skills encourages independent thinking and learning. These critical thinking skills include analyzing synthesizing, making inferences, understanding organization, and drawing conclusions.
4. Grammar expansion activities: Additional grammar practice activities for each unit reinforce learning.
5. High interest content: Unusual, attention-grabbing topics generate discussion and offer opportunities for students to express their own opinions.